Recent Academic Research
- Forecasting National Recessions Using State-Level Data, with Michael Oywang and Jeremy Piger, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Forthcoming.
- Personal-Bankruptcy Cycles, with Tom Garrett, Macroeconomic Dynamics, October 2014.
- Where is an Oil Shock?, with Kristie Engemann and Michael Owyang, Journal of Regional Science, March 2014.
- Biofuel Subsidies and International Trade, with Subhayu Bandyopadhyay and Sumon Bhaumik, Economics and Politics, July 2013.
- Discordant City Employment Cycles, with Michael Oywang and Jeremy Piger, Regional Science and Urban Economics, March 2013.
- The Employment Cycles of Neighboring Cities, Regional Science and Urban Economics, January 2013.
- Cross-Border Lobbying in Preferential Trading Agreements: Implications for External Tariffs, with Subhayu Bandhyopadhyay and Sajal Lahiri, Review of International Economics, November 2012.
- Ethnic Networks and Trade: Intensive vs. Extensive Margins, with Cletus Coughlin, Economics Letters, October 2011.
Recent Policy Research
- Updated Estimates of the Effect of Earnings Taxes on City Growth, Show-Me Institute Essay, September 2014.
- The Missouri Quality Jobs Program: Rearranging the Deck Chairs (And Throwing Some Overboard), Missouri Policy Journal, Fall/Winter 2013-14.
- Robbing Peter to Pay Paul: The Employment Effects of the Missouri Quality Jobs Program, MPRA Paper No. 50605, September 2013.
- 'True' Unemployment in the United States and the St. Louis Metro Area, ISEE Policy Series, January 2012.
- Tax Credits as a Tool of State Economic Development Policy, Show-Me Institute Public Policy Study, November 2011.
Current Research Projects
- Sex and the Business Cycle.
- The Efficiency of K-12 Spending: An Analysis of Missouri Locales.
- Does the US Economy
Exist? with Jaya Dey and David Rapach.
- Decomposing the Great Recession, with Jaya Dey and David Rapach.